As we all probably did, I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I was really impressed with how greatly MSFT improved the search function from 7 to 8/8.1, however in Win10, the search function just did not work for me. Using some Google-FU, I was not alone and here is what I found it to fix it:

1. Kill the process ‘explorer.exe’ (Run PowerShell -OR CMD as Admin)

2. Navigate to this registry key, and DELETE it:
(I recommend using REGJUMP, it’s just sooo handy!)

3. Launch ‘explorer.exe’ again
(You should find more stuff now, but still not all…)

4. Make sure the ‘Windows Search’ service is running

5. Run the following PowerShell command:
(Re-install / build Cortana…)

6. Last but not least, make sure your “Indexing Options” in the Control Panel are set correctly. I Made sure I selected the right disks and drives, and rebuild the index from scratch, that took a while…

7. Enjoy your working and fast search! :o)

 

We had a SBS server that is no longer in use but still has important information on it. The second you have an other DC on the Domain SBS starts to freak out a little as it violates the EULA (so does turning the SBS Core service off…) The problem is as long as the SBS server sees there is another DC, it will keep turning off every hour. VERY frustrating.

The below is the error log you should see:
sbcore_tmb

To disable we followed the below:

  1. Download the Process Explorer tool from SysInternals – Here
  2. Load Process Explorer and look for the SBS Licensing Service – C:\Windows\system32\sbscrexe.exe
  3. Select this service and Suspend it – you should find the service greys out
  4. Open Regedit and expand the following key – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SBCore
  5. Right click this Key and add the Administrators group giving them Full Permission to the key (refresh this and you should see all the key entries now)
  6. Select the Start DWORD and change it from 2 to 4 (this sets the Disabled state)
  7. Open a File Explorer window and browse to the C:\Windows\system32\sbscrexe.exe file
  8. Right click this and load Properties / Security
  9. Add the Everyone group and set the Deny permission for Full Access (should then tick the sub permissions)
  10. Go back to Process Explorer and now kill the sbscrexe.exe service – this should now be disabled
  11. Check the SBCore service via services.msc – it should have a disabled state and now longer be running
  12. Get some coffee – you saved the day. ;o)

Source:
http://www.webbosworld.co.uk/blog/?p=175

While working on SQL (see my previous post…) we of course got locked out…

I found a post that helped! (Thanks Google-fu!)

You can either run this query:

or via GUI, uncheck the box:

sqluser

 

PS: Dear Vendor, if you are selling a product, please know the ins and outs of the product AND the other products that are needed to get everything to work. Thank you.

Source:
http://www.sqldbadiaries.com/2010/07/21/unlock-sql-user-without-changing-the-password/#ixzz2OBIJCsqv

 

I was working with a vendor for some specialty software, they could install the software but were not able to configure SQL… though the software is heavily integrated with SQL.

I have to admit, I am not too familiar with SQL so troubleshooting it, I have to utilize my Google fu…

Error:

“Error: Test connection to the database server has failed because of network problems:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.”

Fix:

1. Login to the server -> Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server Network Configuration -> Protocols for MSSQLSERVER -> right click “TCP/IP” and select “Enable”.

2. Start -> Run -> type “services.msc” -> Restart SQL service.

PROTIP:
Also check a service called ‘SQL Server Browser‘ and make sure it is running…